- Clone: 80% Gamay 358 on 110R rootstock Pinot Noir 115 on SO4 rootstock Ranch Real, 20% Massal Selection own roots Clos Mullet
- Vineyard: Rancho Real (10′ x 5′ Spacing), Clos Mullet (5′ x 5′ Spacing)
- Soil Series: Rancho Real – Chamise shaly loam and Botella loam, Clos Mullet – Chamise shaly loam
- Appellation: Santa Barbara County
- Harvest date: August 2016
- Brix at harvest: Average 20.50 brix
- Fermentation: Rancho Real Gamay whole cluster semi-carbonic. 100% natural primary and secondary; pressed after 8 days. Clos Mullet de-stemmed whole berry natural primary and secondary; pressed after 10 days.
- Barrels: 20% french oak 228l barrique (four or more years old) , 80% demi-muid 600l (neutral)
- Aging: Six months in barrel.
- Growing season: Typical Santa Barbara season outside of an early bloom and fruit set. The lingering drought has affected “normal” years in that regard. September typically being our warmest month, our grapes were not affected by late season heat due to the crop load and early harvest date. Total degree days just over 2000. Rainfall total 11.79” (77%- of historical average).
Rancho Real: Hand harvested and sustainably grown; not de-stemmed or crushed. Pumped over once daily, in concrete tank, after which the top was again sealed and the fermenter was gassed using carbon dioxide. No sulfur used at harvest. Fermented on the native yeasts, followed by full malolactic by naturally occurring bacteria. The wine was fermented for eight days then pressed to tank, settled, then racked to barrel the following day.
Clos Mullet: Hand harvested and sustainably grown; de-stemmed, pumped-over once daily in an open top tank, after which the top was again sealed and the fermenter was gassed. Fermented on the native yeasts, followed by full malolactic by naturally occurring bacteria. No sulfur used at harvest. The wine was fermented for ten days then pressed to tank, settled, then racked to barrel the following day. Racked once prior to bottling to blend. Total of 20 ppm so2 added without filtration in keeping with our minimalist (lo-fi) philosophy.
Ingredients: Hand harvested, sustainably farmed grapes, indigenous yeast, naturally occurring lactic acid bacteria and minimum effective SO2.