- Clone: Gamay 358 on 110R rootstock / Pinot Noir 115 on SO4 rootstock
- Vineyard: Rancho Real (10′ x 5′ Spacing) / Kick-On Ranch (10′ x 5′ Spacing)
- Soil Series: Gamay Noir – Chamise shaly loan and Botella loam / Pinot Noir – Betteravia loamy sand and Tierra loam
- Appellation: Santa Barbara County
- Harvest date: August 15, 2015 and August 23, 2015
- Brix at harvest: Average 20.50 brix
- Fermentation: Gamay Whole cluster semi-carbonic. 100% natural primary and secondary; pressed after 14 days. Pinot Noir Whole cluster. 100% natural primary and secondary; pressed after 11 days.
- Barrels: 75% french oak 228l barrique (four or more years old) , 25% demi-muid 600l (neutral)
- Aging: six months in barrel.
- Production: 250 Cases
- Growing season: Typical Santa Barbara season outside of an early bloom and fruit set. The lingering draught has affected “normal” years in that regard. September typically being our warmest month, our grapes were not effected by late season heat due to the crop load and early harvest date. Total degree days just over 2000. Rainfall total 8.63”-7.65” (55%- of historical average).
Gamay: Hand harvested and sustainably grown; not de-stemmed or crushed. Pumped over once daily, in concrete tank, after which the top was again sealed and the fermenter was gassed using carbon dioxide. No sulfur used at harvest. Fermented on the native yeasts, followed by full malolactic by naturally occurring bacteria. The wine was fermented for fourteen days then pressed to tank, settled, then racked to barrel the following day.
Pinot Noir: Hand harvested and sustainably grown; not de-stemmed, crushed by foot once daily in an open top tank, after which the top was again sealed and the fermenter was gassed. Fermented on the native yeasts, followed by full malolactic by naturally occurring bacteria. No sulfur used at harvest. The wine was fermented for eleven days then pressed to tank, settled, then racked to barrel the following day. Racked once prior to bottling to blend. Total of 20 ppm so2 added without filtration in keeping with our minimalist (lo-fi) philosophy.
Ingredients: Hand harvested, organically farmed grapes, indigenous yeast, naturally occurring lactic acid bacteria and minimum effective SO2.